- Would you have called the police in such a situation? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with how the mother (Cory Widen) reacted? Why or why not? If you were in her place, how would you react?
- The article mentions another mother (Kim Brooks) who left her son in a car for a few minutes on a cool day to run an errand. Do you think it was right that she had to take parenting classes and complete community service? Why or why not?
- Should there be a law regarding such situations, stating at what age children should be allowed to do various things? Or should it be left up to each parent to decide? Give a specific reason for your answer.
- Other than child abuse/neglect, if you had to pick one area/type of crime that police should be focusing on, what would it be and why?