Week 11 – Assignment B – Sample Student Researched Argument Ess’ay
A Writer’s Reference “MLA-3c “Synthesizing Sources” through and including “Reviewing an MLA Pap’er: Use of Sources” pgs. 386-388.
Read the Sample Researched Argument_Marijuana Controversy-1.doc and answer the following questions:
- What is the student author’s thesis statement/major claim? Do they have a strong thesis statement? If yes, why do you think so? Explain.
- How do they use sources to build their argument? How do they synthesize sources? Give one or two examples and explain.
- How do they paraphrase sources to advance their argument? Give two or three examples and explain.
- How do they put the sources into a conversation? Give one or two examples and explain.
- Do they have clear topic sentences in their body paragraphs? If yes, why do you think so? Give two or three examples from the ess’ay and explain.
- What does the student author do well in this ess’ay? Why do you think so? How could they further improve their ess’ay? Give one or two suggestions for revision.
- Revise the student author’s ess’ay title and give a new title that better reflects their argument.