Overview:For this assignment, you will have an opportunity to witness product placement and evaluate its effectiveness. Please follow the instructions below and save your file in .doc or .docx format. Please follow APA guidelines.*To view the grading rubric for this discussion, click the name of the discussion, then click “Grading Information”
Instructions:In Module 5, we learned that there are a variety of tools available to marketers as part of the Promotion Mix. Public Relations (PR), as part of the Promotion Mix, seeks to create positive rapport with consumers. A popular PR tool is product placement.
- Navigate to the Ben Be Entertianment website listed below and click “Watch Video.” Ben Be Entertainment is a firm which focuses on product placements for marketing communications. (Feel free to check out other parts of their website to see examples of their work).
- Next, watch a tv show or movie that you would expect to have product placement. Hint: Look for a sitcom, Netflix show, movie, etc. which is based in current times (for example, you are not likely to find much product placement in a World War I or futuristic movie).
- While watching the tv show or movie, focus on identifying product placements.
- Prepare a one-page writeup which includes the following information:
- Describe the tv show or movie which you watched
- List and describe the specific product placements that you noticed in the show/movie. Be sure to note whether it was just in the scene in the background or foreground, whether a character interacted with the product, etc.
- Would you have noticed the product if you weren’t specifically looking for it?
- Do you feel that this was an effective use of promotion for this product? Why or why not?
- Submit your completed document using this assignment link.
EXTRA CREDIT (10 additional points):To earn additional points, add the following write-up to your written document above:
Chapter 14 includes a discussion about influencer marketing, or targeting people known to influence others to promote a product. In many cases, infuencers use social media as part of this process.
- Can you think of any people that you follow on social media that could be considered influencers?
- Identify one of these people, describe who they are and why they are famous, and identify the brand(s) that they seek to influence for.
- What is it about this person that engages consumers so that they would follow this influencer’s recommendations?
- What are your thoughts about this promotional strategy? Is it ethical? Is it effective?
- As a marketing consultant, would you recommend that a firm utilize influencers? Why or why not?