Human service professionals are required by the NOHS Standard 16 to “advocate for social justice and seek to eliminate oppression.” Base your response on the readings, your review of relevant sections of the standards, and your own research.
Please respond to the following:
- Define what social justice means to you. Be specific in your definition.
- Discuss what you think is meant by Standard 16.
- What do you think is required of human service professionals to comply with that standard? Use specific examples in your discussion.
- Formulate a plan for how you intend to advocate for social justice in your own practice.
- What do you plan to do that meets this requirement? In addition to some of the traditional advocacy practices used in the profession, incorporate new and creative ideas for how to effect this change.
- Do you believe your efforts will be effective? Why or why not?