To Prepare: Review the Congress website provided in the Resources and identify one recent (within the past 5 years) proposed health policy (H.R. 4401 protecting seniors from health care fraud act). Review the health policy you identified and reflect on the background and development of this health policy. Post a description of the health policy you selected(protecting seniors from health care fraud act) and a brief background for the problem or issue being addressed. Which social determinant most affects this policy? Explain whether you believe there is an evidence base to support the proposed policy and explain why. Be specific and provide examples.
- Milstead, J. A., & Short, N. M. (2019). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (6th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 5, “Public Policy Design” (pp. 87–95 only)
- Chapter 8, “The Impact of EHRs, Big Data, and Evidence-Informed Practice” (pp. 137–146)
- Chapter 9, “Interprofessional Practice” (pp. 152–160 only)
- Chapter 10, “Overview: The Economics and Finance of Health Care” (pp. 183–191 only)
- American Nurses Association (ANA). (n.d.). Advocacy Links to an external site.. Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/advocacy/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (n.d.). Step by step: Evaluating violence and injury prevention policies: Brief 4: Evaluating policy implementation Links to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/injury/pdfs/policy/Brief%204-a.pdf
- Congress.gov Links to an external site.. (n.d.). Retrieved September 20, 2018, from https://www.congress.gov/
- Klein, K. J., & Sorra, J. S. (1996). The challenge of innovation implementation Links to an external site.. Academy of Management Review, 21(4), 1055–1080.
- Sacristán, J., & Dilla, T. D. (2015). No big data without small data: Learning health care systems begin and end with the individual patient Links to an external site.. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 21(6), 1014–1017.
- Tummers, L., & Bekkers, V. (2014). Policy implementation, street level bureaucracy, and the importance of discretion Links to an external site.. Public Management Review, 16(4), 527–547.